Sunday, October 5, 2008

General Conference, a Bit of Home

It is 10:00PM Sunday evening and we just arrived home after leaving our apartment at 8:15 This morning. This morning we had a High Council meeting. It was a disciplinary Court, the one you like to see. It was for the purpose of restoring a persons membership in the church. All went well and it was great to see a person that repented and did what was necessary to be able to be baptized again.
We were able to see two sessions of conference in real time. Both of the morning sessions we saw at the same time you did at home. Mom was able to see the women session on our Saturday morning. The priesthood session we were able to see on Sunday morning at 11:00 AM this morning and than we saw the Saturday afternoon session at on Sunday at 2:00PM. At 5:30PM we watched the Music and the Spoken Word and the the Sunday morning session right afterward. The Sunday afternoon session will be recorded and we will see it sometimes next week. Of Course the messages were great and the Spirit was felt as much here in Germany as we could have if we were in Salt Lake City.
Anina was especially grateful that she was able to understand all that was said. At our Outreach- Center we had the English translation and in the Chapel we had the German transmission.
This past week was a busy week. We received a new set of Elders. We now have two Sets of Young Elders in our city of Dortmund. We attended the institute class in another city that belongs to our Stake (Essen). We hope to talk them into coming to the Outreach-Center at least once a month for an activity.
We are having opportunities to talk to a lot of young adults and many need some words of encouragement and support. Many come from homes where there is not the priesthood. We have been asked on several occasions to give blessings or just talk.
This past week a young lady came to our Family Home Evening and asked if she could practice playing the piano in the chapel. We gave her permission to go and practice. She came back after only a view moments and ask if our family-home-evening group could go to the chapel and watch her play and sing. She was so exited about being ready to play and sing for her close friend at the wedding on Saturday. She wanted to do this as a surprise for her Friend. Everything went well and we all told her how wonderful she sounded. On Thursday evening, just as we were getting ready to start the Institute class, this same young lady came to our Office with her mother and they were just crying. O course I asked , "what is the matter?". She told me that she lost her voice and had terrible chest pains and a sore throat. She was told that she had pneumonia and should go to bed and the doctor would see her next week. She than told me if I would give her a blessing she would get better so could sing and play at her friends wedding. I was taken back by the request for I could see that she was very ill. I invited one of the missionaries to come into our office to give the anointing and I would do the sealing of the anointing. I thought of what I would say in that blessing to comfort her and her mother. The things I thought I would say, I was not able to say. I thought that perhaps I had troubles to express them in the German language. I soon realized that I should just say that came into my mind.
After the blessing they thanked us and departed. Now the worry started for me. How could I say what I did? I began to worry about the promise that was given. I began to doubt. I even apologized to the Lord and than ask for His help. I worried all night and most of the next day. On Friday evening, as I was working at the Outreach Center this young lady knocked on the office door. She was all smiles and said "you see, I knew that your blessing would make me well. A miracle happened last night and I feel well." and than she requested permission to practice one more time for the event that was to take place on Saturday afternoon.
Oh, the faith of some that bring about miracles in spite of the doubt of others. What a lesson that was for me.

No comments: